Gwent Crematorium set to return to its usual schedule this week
4:10pm Monday 25th February 2013 in News
THE schedule of services at Gwent Crematorium will be back to normal from March 1 after mercury abatement works were completed three weeks ahead of schedule.
Families had been waiting up to three weeks for services since work to install equipment to remove mercury from the process started last June, and around 20 per cent of services were diverted to Cardiff and Glyntaff at the request of those who did not want to wait.
Well aware of the effect on mourners, crematorium manager Paul Dundon said contractors worked around the clock and were given increased access to the Croesceiliog site giving them more time to complete the work resulting in a finish three weeks earlier than expected.
It will now be able to run at full capacity offering 15 services a day – up from the eight it was running last summer and 11 in December.
Mr Dundon said: “I can tell you for certain I am very pleased. It’s upsetting to think that we have been distressing people more than they are distressed any way so to be able to bring this in a couple of weeks is a relief. It will be nice to get back to normal.”
Newport funeral director Mike Ryan said: “I always said the abatement system had to be done. Yes, it was upsetting for the families who had to wait but we had to get on with it. It has been hard work for us and hard work for families but full credit must now go to Paul Dundon and his staff.”
The work had to be completed to meet Environ-ment Agency targets.
Crematoria had been told they must remove at least half of mercury fromthe output of the industrial process by the end of last year, but Gwent Crematorium has gone a step further by removing it from all its cremations.
Exposure to the metal, often found in fillings, is linked to damage to the brain, nervous system and fertility.