Caldicot teacher suspended amid inquiry into Harlem Shake video
10:30am Monday 4th March 2013 in News
A TEACHER has been suspended from a Gwent school after the council launched an investigation about his conduct in a video posted online.
A 34-second video, believed to be a take on the latest internet sensation the Harlem Shake, is understood to have been filmed at Caldicot Comprehensive School.
It was posted on video sharing website You Tube on February 20, but has since been removed.
Monmouthshire council said it was investigating reports a member of staff behaved in an unacceptable way when pupils were on their break.
Initially, the authority claimed the teacher had been suspended pending an investigation into a breach of the school’s social media policy.
But later a spokeswoman told the Argus: “One of our schools is investigating reports that a member of staff behaved in an unacceptable way.
“While we look into this, we’re not able to discuss the detail, to be fair to the teacher involved.
“It seems that the incident may have been filmed on a mobile phone by pupils and if this is the case, the footage will help with our investigations. The teacher has been suspended until we have examined the circumstances and if he is found to have broken the school’s disciplinary policy, action will be taken.”
Students have taken to Twitter calling for the teacher to be reinstated, with talk of organising a protest.
The matter has not been reported to the General Teaching Council for Wales.
The Harlem Shake is the latest craze to dominate social media and typically sees people dancing erratically to the song of the same name, by DJ and producer Baauer.
Videos have been posted by a number of Gwent organisations including South Wales Fire and Rescue Service staff and