Firecrews called as lawnmower blazes in Cwmbran
12:10pm Thursday 8th August 2013 in News
STAFF at a fire alarm manufacturer were evacuated after a lawnmower went up in flames outside their building yesterday.
More than 60 employees at Fike Safety Technology had to leave their offices when the machine caught light on Springvale Industrial Estate in Cwmbran.
Sales manager Oliver Newman, 26, said: “There were about four firefighters putting out the flames to make sure no one was injured.
“The windows got quite hot and the lawnmower tyres were popping. That triggered our alarm system.
“We’re a fire alarm manufacturer.
“For it to happen outside our place is a coincidence, if you like.
“I wasn’t really aware of it until I saw the smoke at the window.”
A fire engine pulled up outside the company offices on the industrial estate in Springvale at around 2pm.
Firefighters sprang into action and put out the flames leaving the smouldering remains of the machine.
Mr Newman saw the man who appeared to have used the lawnmower and other people standing outside his offices after the machine caught light.
The lawnmower was later taken away leaving scorched grass outside the two-storey building.
Mr Newman said one fire engine was called but the ambulance service did not attend as there were no injuries.
He added that his company not only manufactures fire alarms but also video detectors which give warnings of fires by visually capturing images of flames and smoke.