Torfaen homes plan gets green light

A PLAN for thousands of homes to be built across Torfaen got the go-ahead last night.

An extraordinary meeting of the local authority was held yesterday afternoon over the adoption of the Torfaen Local Development Plan (LDP) 2006-2021, following approval by an independent inspector.

Amended changes outline that the plan will provide 4,700 homes across the area, meeting changing market conditions on a variety of earmarked sites, including Greenfield sites at South Sebastapol, Llantarnam and Llanfrechfa Grange.

Only four councillors objected to the plans, though the meeting heard some people held "massive concerns" over it.

But chief officer for planning and public protection, Duncan Smith, said if the LDP was not approved by councillors, it would be imposed on them by the Welsh Government.

The figure has been revised from an original 5,000 home total, due in part to the ‘impact of the economic downturn’, said the report presented to councillors.

It also said it had considered the difficulties in reclaiming land at The British, while reduced numbers of dwellings on County Hall and the former Police College were also taken into consideration.

But Mr Smith said this was not down to the Welsh Government dictating to the council.

He said: “This is our plan. It follows Welsh Government policy, obviously, but it had been tested by an independent inspector.”

Presenting the plan, Robert Murray, principal planner, added: “We decided the reduced number is a more realistic target, which would not jeopardize the objectives, provisions and aims we want to deliver.”

Concern was raised over the allocation of housing in South Sebastapol throughout the meeting.

Resident Rosemary Fisher, membership secretary of Torfaen Friends of the Earth, asked for assurances that the housing allocation for South Sebastapol would not rise above the 1,200 figure laid out.

In response, Mr Smith said: “Because of the broader allocations in the plan there will be no requirement to increase that allocation.”

It was also asked by Carol Parry, secretary of Llantarnam Village Residents Association, how the plan would seek to prioritise the use of brownfield sites over green spaces.

Mr Smith replied: “The plan and its site allocations have been found to be sound. The aim now is to deliver them, irrelevant of a green-brownfield basis.”

Various councillors thanked officers delivering their plan for their hard work.

Cllr Gwyneira Clarke said she was “glad” the plan was finally going to be adopted.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:41pm Wed 4 Dec 13

varteg1 says...

Inconsistency again.

4500 houses across the boro' all of which will mean substantial disruption one way or another, vehicular movements exhaust emissions, noise and dust within closely adjacent communities, all at a severe cost, to the tax/ratepayers. and approved by an independent inspector.
Without doubt this approval will not come before Carl Sargent, but if it has to, again without doubt he will be 'minded to approve' for the Assembly.


Can someone explain to me why this project, which will disrupt and discomfort many communities, affecting the daily lives of thousands,across the boro', and take some considerable time in so doing gets approved, whilst a scheme that will affect few, and which was to be self financing with financial benefits to accrue to the Council and many of those slightly (if at all, ) and which was found to be viable and after a long inquiry, found by the independent inspector APPOINTED BY the Assembly, to be well within all parameters for dust noise and vehicle movements, and unlikely to be of any danger to a nearby school, or residences, from which agreement was obtain by a substantial number of those residents, and by one Minister ...' minded to approve'... subject to some financial finalising figures.

This was already en route to an arranged meeting with theCouncil, but stopped in it's tracks by another Minister,who for no sound or scientific or perceivable reason, decided to ignore the Inspector appointed by his own Assembly, and all but approved by his predecessor.

The cost of that inquiry must have cost a rather horrendous amount of money.

So, will someone explain to me the contentious decision by Carl Sargent, which I see as being no more or less than very suspect in the light of a far larger set of schemes, taking place across the borough, and as said, in places where the effect on local communities will be far more drastic than on the very small numbers involved in Varteg in the opencast project.

The opposition have had their 'victory'..., I now think it time for Sargent and the Council to come before the public to expand on this inconsistency. between the two schemes.

In fact I demand they do so..
Inconsistency again. 4500 houses across the boro' all of which will mean substantial disruption one way or another, vehicular movements exhaust emissions, noise and dust within closely adjacent communities, all at a severe cost, to the tax/ratepayers. and approved by an independent inspector. Without doubt this approval will not come before Carl Sargent, but if it has to, again without doubt he will be 'minded to approve' for the Assembly. Can someone explain to me why this project, which will disrupt and discomfort many communities, affecting the daily lives of thousands,across the boro', and take some considerable time in so doing gets approved, whilst a scheme that will affect few, and which was to be self financing with financial benefits to accrue to the Council and many of those slightly (if at all, ) and which was found to be viable and after a long inquiry, found by the independent inspector APPOINTED BY the Assembly, to be well within all parameters for dust noise and vehicle movements, and unlikely to be of any danger to a nearby school, or residences, from which agreement was obtain by a substantial number of those residents, and by one Minister ...' minded to approve'... subject to some financial finalising figures. This was already en route to an arranged meeting with theCouncil, but stopped in it's tracks by another Minister,who for no sound or scientific or perceivable reason, decided to ignore the Inspector appointed by his own Assembly, and all but approved by his predecessor. The cost of that inquiry must have cost a rather horrendous amount of money. So, will someone explain to me the contentious decision by Carl Sargent, which I see as being no more or less than very suspect in the light of a far larger set of schemes, taking place across the borough, and as said, in places where the effect on local communities will be far more drastic than on the very small numbers involved in Varteg in the opencast project. The opposition have had their 'victory'..., I now think it time for Sargent and the Council to come before the public to expand on this inconsistency. between the two schemes. In fact I demand they do so.. varteg1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree