A WOMAN remains in a critical condition after a house fire in Pontypool this morning.
Fire services were alerted to the house blaze on Tenison Road, Trevethin, at 6.30am.
The resident at the house, a woman, aged 55, had already vacated the property before the fire service’s arrival with the help of neighbours.
Three fire engines attended to tackle the fire on the first-floor landing.
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed that a paramedic and an ambulance crew were at the scene, and the woman was taken to Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergevenny.
Gwent Police confirmed that they were also called to the house fire and that the woman has since been taken to Swansea’s Morriston Hospital, which is home to The Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery, where she is in a critical condition.
A spokeswoman said: “We are treating the fire as deliberately set.
“We are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.”
A resident who lives on the road said he was “shocked” when he heard there had been a house fire.
He had been woken up by the lights of the emergency services at the property and at first thought it was someone’s Christmas lights flashing, before realising it was more serious upon further inspection, but remained in his house.
Fire crews attended the property from New Inn, Abersychan and Cwmbran fire stations and left the property at 7.17am after extinguishing the blaze. One hose jet and two breathing apparatus were used.
A TORFAEN woman is in a critical condition after a fire at her home this morning in Trevethin.
The 55-year-old has been transferred to Morriston Hospital in Swansea after having been taken to Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny.
Fire services were alerted to the house fire on Tenison Road at 6.30am.
Three engines attended to tackle the fire on the first floor landing and crews left at 7.17am.
A spokesperson for South Wales Fire and Rescue said the blaze is being treated as deliberate and they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed that a paramedic and an ambulance attended.