Caldicot 'Harlem Shake' teacher back at work
4:19pm Friday 3rd January 2014 in News
A CALDICOT teacher is back at work after almost ten months suspension for allegedly taking part in a Harlem Shake video which was posted online.
The Argus understands that Andrew Jones, who teaches religious education at Caldicot Comprehensive School, was suspended on full pay after a 34-second video clip filmed by students was posted on YouTube on February 20.
Now Mr Jones is back teaching at the school.
Initially, Monmouthshire council claimed the teacher had been suspended pending an investigation into a breach of the school’s social media policy.
Chairman of governors at Caldicot School, Peter Newcombe, said at the time the school was following the due policy and procedure in investigating the matter and said he believed Mr Jones had been suspended on full pay.
Speaking on Monday, he said the matter has been dealt with and that Mr Jones had returned to work in December. He said: “The suspension has been lifted and the teacher returned to work last term.”
In a statement issued this week, a council spokesman said the teacher had returned to work in December but refused to provide the exact date or say if any punishment was handed down, citing confidentiality reasons.
Students took to Twitter calling for Mr Jones to be reinstated.
The Harlem Shake was a popular social media craze earlier this year which typically saw people dancing to the song of the same name, by DJ and producer Baauer.
Comments are closed on this article.