Council chief calls for action to prevent Pontypool RFC attacks
Updated 3:55pm Tuesday 21st January 2014 in News
THE chairman of Pontypool Community Council has called for action to prevent “mindless vandalism” driving Pontypool RFC out of the town, as fears grow for the future of the historic club at its current base.
Councillor Giles Davies has said he believes that losing the club from Pontypool Park would be the “final nail in the coffin” for the town.
Yobs have subjected the club to numerous attacks at the Torfaen council-owned park in recent times including, most recently, a fire which caused significant damage to the commentary and media section of the main stand.
The attack prompted Pooler’s corporate director to say the club is “at risk”, with the unsecure nature of the ground “inviting” anti-social behaviour.
Cllr Davies said security measures, from a dispersal order around the ground to £10,000 worth of CCTV monitoring, should be put in place to “protect Pontypool’s asset”.
He called it a “small price to pay”, saying: “I was horrified to hear that blades had been placed at the try lines along with needles.”
He suggested funding for the security could come from grant aids, the community council, and donations.
“I personally feel that if we lose the great Pooler from the park then this would be the final nail in the coffin for our town,” Cllr Davies added.
“Let’s all work together and prevent this happening.”
Comments are closed on this article.