VOLUNTEER presenters at an Abergavenny radio station who were forced off the air following a break-in are back in the studio.

The studio at Nevill Hall Sound, which has been broadcasting to patients of Nevill Hall Hospital and the wider community for 35 years, was broken into on January 18 and £1,500 worth of equipment was stolen.

The station’s regular presenters were left devastated after a laptop and two computer towers, used to broadcast the shows on air and stream on the internet, were stolen.

It was able to remain on air using a 24-hour automated system but had to abandon presented shows until the equipment was replaced.

Nevill Hall Sound relies on unpaid volunteers who do live shows throughout the week, donations, advertising and sponsors. Presenter and trainer Alan Leach said the station had to rely on the automated system for around three weeks following the break-in.

But the 20-strong band of volunteers were back on air last month.

Mr Leach said: “We have been overwhelmed by the support shown from the public and listeners.

“We were able to continue broadcasting using our automated system and pre-recorded shows for around three weeks until we were able to replace the equipment.

“The insurance covered the cost of the equipment but not the costs of having to install CCTV or have an alarm fitted.

“The response we have had has been fantastic, with local residents and businesses donating funds.”

Among those to fundraise for the station were John and Sylvia Sharland, of Govilon, who collected £500 outside Tesco in Abergavenny and Ebbw Vale, and Abergavenny Electrics, which fitted a new alarm on the premises.

“People have been so kind and supportive — it has been fabulous and enabled us to get back on air and return to our listeners.”

Gwent Police said no arrest has been made in relation to the incident and issued an appeal for anyone with information about the unsolved crime to phone the non-emergency number 101.

For more information on the radio station visit www.nhsound.co.uk