AN 80-YEAR-OLD woman died as a result of a domestic-acquired industrial disease normally caused by an exposure to asbestos, an inquest heard.
Norma Kidman from Chepstow died from mesothelioma on September 27, 2013.
In a statement read out to Gwent Coroner’s Court in Newport, Mrs Kidman’s husband John Kidman said he had “no idea” how his wife contracted mesothelioma.
The statement read: “Prior to our marriage in 1951, my wife had been an apprentice hairdresser, but she gave up work to look after our children. She returned to employment in 1961 as a shop worker and an office clerk.”
Gwent Coroner David Bowen heard that in 1969, Mr Kidman was posted to Burma and various other Army barracks and his family went with him.
Mr Kidman’s statement added: “My wife enjoyed good health in the majority of her life, but during the summer of 2013 she developed a dry cough and was admitted to the Royal Gwent Hospital. Doctors said she was suffering from a possible mesothelioma, I have no idea how she contracted that condition.”
Mr Bowen recorded a verdict of domestic-acquired industrial disease and said that it was “unnecessary” for him to decide how Mrs Kidman came into contact with asbestos.