A MAN was today jailed for 17-and-a-half years for killing his partner, a former Gwent school pupil.

Lawyer Alison Farr-Davies, 42, was schooled at Haberdashers' Monmouth Girls school before studying law at university and qualifying as a solicitor in 2001.

Her life was cut short after she was killed by her boyfriend Dean Jones, 38 - who was today jailed for 17-and-a-half years.

A court heard the lawyer became addicted to drugs while she was living in Cardiff - where she studied her degree.

And Alison's life took a downward turn and she struck up a relationship with Jones.

Jones had a history of using heroin and had 114 criminal offences on his record - including driving a vehicle at a car carrying his ex-partner and his child.

Alison was described in court as a "very gentle, loving and kind person" who doted on her nieces, and went out of her way to help people in need.

Her family, who run law firm John Farr-Davies & Company in Carmarthenshire, said they have struggled to get over their loss.

Alison was found dead - wearing only a bra - at her flat in Hafod, Swansea, in September last year.

Home Office pathologist Dr Richard Jones said the probable cause of death was blunt head and chest injury.

Prosecuting Christopher Quinlan QC said: "The defendant accepts he assaulted Miss Farr-Davies and accepts he caused injuries connected to her death and accepts it was unlawful and is therefore guilty of homicide, that is manslaughter."

Swansea Crown Court also heard Alison had multiple fractures to ribs and left arm, a bowel injury and bite marks.

Mr Quinlan said: "Dental impressions were taken from this defendant and they matched.

"There was no evidence she had taken drugs shortly before her death."

A post-mortem report found Alison suffered a brain haemorrhage and possibly survived 12 to 18 hours after being injured.

Alison was killed by Jones just days before her 43rd birthday - a birthday she shared with her mother.

Neighbours had witnessed her looking distressed in the days leading up to her death and one passerby said they saw a male "dragging a person by her hair."

On the evening before Alison was found dead a neighbour heard a noise that "sounded as though someone had fallen down the stairs."

When she looked through the letterbox she saw Alison with a "gaping wound" on her forehead.

The neighbour told Jones to call an ambulance but said he looked "not to have a care in the world."

On September 13, 2016, Jones ran into the road wearing just boxer shorts and shouted for help - despite knowing Alison was already dead.

In a victim impact statement, Alison's sister Louise Staples, said: "I still have not told my daughters their auntie has died. How can you tell them what happened to her?

"I have never felt pain like this before.

"From the moment I get up I can't wait for it to be night again, so I can be alone in the dark."

Mum Linda Farr-Davies said in statement: "I keep looking forward to Ali visiting, and it is hard to think she will never be able to do that again.

"I do not go out. I stay at home and do not want to see people. I pretend I am getting better, but I am not. I will never be the same again. I just want her back."

Judge Keith Thomas called it a "wholly unprovoked and senseless" attack.

He said: "No sentence I could pass could bring Miss Farr-Davies back, or cure the anguish of her family.

"Miss Farr-Davies had clearly been a clever and talented woman whose achievements had been overshadowed by her addiction to drugs."