Celtic Manor to host international investment conference

Celtic Manor to host international investment conference

Celtic Manor to host international investment conference

First published in Business
Last updated

NEWPORT is to host an international investment conference aiming to create jobs and growth for the UK, Business Secretary Vince Cable and Welsh Government Minister Edwina Hart have announced today.

The conference, called ‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’,  follows this September's NATO Summit and will be held on 20 – 21 November at Celtic Manor Resort.

Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Wales is already home to many successful companies. Some started here whilst others have come here to invest and grow. This conference provides a good opportunity to show Wales’ strengths as an excellent place to do business and one that is open to foreign investment.

Economy Minister Edwina Hart added: “While the Nato Summit provides an opportunity to promote Wales to the world, this investment conference will enable us to specifically showcase what Wales can offer the world of business and industry.

The UK Investment Summit will focus on a range of emerging technologies that will allow us to highlight Welsh expertise in this field across a range of key industries.

Statistics from the UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) showed that Wales attracted 79 foreign investment projects in 2013-14, the highest level in 24 years, creating or safeguarding over 10,000 jobs.

The report also showed that across the UK 66,390 new jobs were created, the highest since 2001. In total 1,773 investment projects were set up by foreign businesses in the UK during 2013/14.

The announcement was made on a visit to Sony at Pencoed, where the innovative Raspberry Pi computers are manufactured. More than 3.5 million Raspberry Pis have been sold worldwide and one will be given to each of the foreign leaders attending the NATO summit.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:43pm Wed 27 Aug 14

JanJenkins says...

Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that???
and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?
Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that??? and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.? JanJenkins
  • Score: -23

2:52pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Ultimate Worrier says...

Oh goody, I can hardly wait.
Oh goody, I can hardly wait. Ultimate Worrier
  • Score: -23

3:31pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Walter Devereux says...

Good news is greeted by two comments so far, both of which are moans. THIS IS GOOD FOR NEWPORT!
Good news is greeted by two comments so far, both of which are moans. THIS IS GOOD FOR NEWPORT! Walter Devereux
  • Score: 16

3:38pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Port0214 says...

An excellent venue, how much of this inward investment will come to Wales, we all know the answer, nothing.
An excellent venue, how much of this inward investment will come to Wales, we all know the answer, nothing. Port0214
  • Score: -18

3:40pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Woodgnome says...

Not sure why this is good for Newport in particular Walter - it says it's a UK wide promotion. We all welcome investment but we don't welcome:-
Traffic disruption
Closed roads
Closed schools
Unsightly ring of steel
Abandoned clinics
etc etc
Not sure why this is good for Newport in particular Walter - it says it's a UK wide promotion. We all welcome investment but we don't welcome:- Traffic disruption Closed roads Closed schools Unsightly ring of steel Abandoned clinics etc etc Woodgnome
  • Score: 16

3:52pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged. Stevenboy
  • Score: 4

3:56pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Woodgnome says...

Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
[quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it, Woodgnome
  • Score: 8

4:04pm Wed 27 Aug 14

DGee123 says...

Seriously doubt there'll be much disruption for this one - it's just business people, not Obama et al!

Sounds like a good thing, to me. People come and spend money in the Celtic Manor = more money spent by the Celtic Manor on supplies and suchlike, and more jobs created in the Celtic Manor itself.
Seriously doubt there'll be much disruption for this one - it's just business people, not Obama et al! Sounds like a good thing, to me. People come and spend money in the Celtic Manor = more money spent by the Celtic Manor on supplies and suchlike, and more jobs created in the Celtic Manor itself. DGee123
  • Score: 27

4:13pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Some people never seem to understand that there is a big world full of opportunity out there. Just because the bad choices you made when younger has ruled you out of being part of it, that's no reason to continually bemoan said world. You messed up in life; you can put your hands up, take responsibility for it and do everything you can to ensure that your kids follow a different path, or you can sit at home and use the SWA forum to complain about how the nasty nasty world owes you a living. Your call.
Some people never seem to understand that there is a big world full of opportunity out there. Just because the bad choices you made when younger has ruled you out of being part of it, that's no reason to continually bemoan said world. You messed up in life; you can put your hands up, take responsibility for it and do everything you can to ensure that your kids follow a different path, or you can sit at home and use the SWA forum to complain about how the nasty nasty world owes you a living. Your call. Gareth
  • Score: 15

4:19pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Mr Miffed says...

Woodgnome wrote:
Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,[/p][/quote]I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit. Mr Miffed
  • Score: -4

4:32pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Mr Miffed wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.
Mr Miffed, we meet again...

Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow.

They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did.

We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Miffed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,[/p][/quote]I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.[/p][/quote]Mr Miffed, we meet again... Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow. They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did. We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure. Gareth
  • Score: -1

4:45pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Mr Miffed says...

Gareth wrote:
Mr Miffed wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.
Mr Miffed, we meet again...

Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow.

They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did.

We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.
I find your positivity infectious Gareth. Long may it infect the locals who may yet be inspired to remove their digits from their lower orifices and, instead of hating Terry M for his success, attempt to join him in it..
[quote][p][bold]Gareth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Miffed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,[/p][/quote]I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.[/p][/quote]Mr Miffed, we meet again... Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow. They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did. We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.[/p][/quote]I find your positivity infectious Gareth. Long may it infect the locals who may yet be inspired to remove their digits from their lower orifices and, instead of hating Terry M for his success, attempt to join him in it.. Mr Miffed
  • Score: -8

4:45pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Off at a tangent, thank you so much Mr Ward, that you've given everyone the opportunity to vote up/down on comments received on stories; a fantastic tool to determine concensus.

Oh, the new layout is superb btw...
Off at a tangent, thank you so much Mr Ward, that you've given everyone the opportunity to vote up/down on comments received on stories; a fantastic tool to determine concensus. Oh, the new layout is superb btw... Gareth
  • Score: 8

4:50pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Woodgnome says...

I welcome investment and efforts to generate it.
Recent posters have vivid imaginations and have no clue what other poster do or whether they are successful or not.
I welcome investment and efforts to generate it. Recent posters have vivid imaginations and have no clue what other poster do or whether they are successful or not. Woodgnome
  • Score: 11

4:53pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Mr Miffed wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Mr Miffed wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.
Mr Miffed, we meet again...

Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow.

They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did.

We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.
I find your positivity infectious Gareth. Long may it infect the locals who may yet be inspired to remove their digits from their lower orifices and, instead of hating Terry M for his success, attempt to join him in it..
I'm not a huge fan of Sir T per se, but i love anyone who gets off their butts and makes a life for themselves.

I can't remember the last negative comment that came from someone who had a degree from anywhere but 'the university of life'.

Life's hard. Deal with it. I've lost contracts but still had bills to pay. I deal with it. I don't come here, belittle the world and blame everyone else. I work harder.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Miffed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gareth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Miffed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,[/p][/quote]I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.[/p][/quote]Mr Miffed, we meet again... Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow. They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did. We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.[/p][/quote]I find your positivity infectious Gareth. Long may it infect the locals who may yet be inspired to remove their digits from their lower orifices and, instead of hating Terry M for his success, attempt to join him in it..[/p][/quote]I'm not a huge fan of Sir T per se, but i love anyone who gets off their butts and makes a life for themselves. I can't remember the last negative comment that came from someone who had a degree from anywhere but 'the university of life'. Life's hard. Deal with it. I've lost contracts but still had bills to pay. I deal with it. I don't come here, belittle the world and blame everyone else. I work harder. Gareth
  • Score: -6

5:49pm Wed 27 Aug 14

DavidMclean says...

JanJenkins wrote:
Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that???
and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?
None at all. Why would you even think that?

Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit.

The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account.

We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate.
[quote][p][bold]JanJenkins[/bold] wrote: Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that??? and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?[/p][/quote]None at all. Why would you even think that? Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit. The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account. We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate. DavidMclean
  • Score: 14

5:50pm Wed 27 Aug 14

DavidMclean says...

Gareth wrote:
Some people never seem to understand that there is a big world full of opportunity out there. Just because the bad choices you made when younger has ruled you out of being part of it, that's no reason to continually bemoan said world. You messed up in life; you can put your hands up, take responsibility for it and do everything you can to ensure that your kids follow a different path, or you can sit at home and use the SWA forum to complain about how the nasty nasty world owes you a living. Your call.
Harsh but fair.
[quote][p][bold]Gareth[/bold] wrote: Some people never seem to understand that there is a big world full of opportunity out there. Just because the bad choices you made when younger has ruled you out of being part of it, that's no reason to continually bemoan said world. You messed up in life; you can put your hands up, take responsibility for it and do everything you can to ensure that your kids follow a different path, or you can sit at home and use the SWA forum to complain about how the nasty nasty world owes you a living. Your call.[/p][/quote]Harsh but fair. DavidMclean
  • Score: 9

5:53pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Interesting that certain people are happy to give a thumbs down, but don't want to engage in a chat... I, forr one, enjoy chatting with others from a different persuasion.

Am happy to be educated - n put my hands up - about stuff i don't know...
Interesting that certain people are happy to give a thumbs down, but don't want to engage in a chat... I, forr one, enjoy chatting with others from a different persuasion. Am happy to be educated - n put my hands up - about stuff i don't know... Gareth
  • Score: 3

5:53pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

Interesting that certain people are happy to give a thumbs down, but don't want to engage in a chat... I, forr one, enjoy chatting with others from a different persuasion.

Am happy to be educated - n put my hands up - about stuff i don't know...
Interesting that certain people are happy to give a thumbs down, but don't want to engage in a chat... I, forr one, enjoy chatting with others from a different persuasion. Am happy to be educated - n put my hands up - about stuff i don't know... Gareth
  • Score: -2

5:54pm Wed 27 Aug 14

DavidMclean says...

"I'm not a huge fan of Sir T per se, but i love anyone who gets off their butts and makes a life for themselves."

I can vouch for Gareth when he says he 'loves' people who are successful. He has been married to three premier league footballers and a Russian oligarch.

Ithangyou!
"I'm not a huge fan of Sir T per se, but i love anyone who gets off their butts and makes a life for themselves." I can vouch for Gareth when he says he 'loves' people who are successful. He has been married to three premier league footballers and a Russian oligarch. Ithangyou! DavidMclean
  • Score: 0

5:57pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

DavidMclean wrote:
JanJenkins wrote:
Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that???
and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?
None at all. Why would you even think that?

Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit.

The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account.

We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate.
You rock
[quote][p][bold]DavidMclean[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JanJenkins[/bold] wrote: Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that??? and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?[/p][/quote]None at all. Why would you even think that? Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit. The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account. We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate.[/p][/quote]You rock Gareth
  • Score: -15

5:57pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Gareth says...

DavidMclean wrote:
JanJenkins wrote:
Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that???
and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?
None at all. Why would you even think that?

Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit.

The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account.

We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate.
You rock
[quote][p][bold]DavidMclean[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JanJenkins[/bold] wrote: Very nice for them, and how many roads are they going to close for that??? and how many days do we have to close our businesses for that beanfeast.?[/p][/quote]None at all. Why would you even think that? Unlike the NATO Summit, this event is actually good news and the sort of thing we need if we are to attract business and jobs to the area. The NATO Summit certainly won't, but that was never the intention of the NATO Summit. The big mistake was to try and make out that the NATO Summit would be any benefit. It was a PR line intended to soften us up and could only ever end in disappointment when it failed to deliver. Just make sure you remember the people who promised great reward from the Summit and hold them to account. We need more events like this business conference if we are truly regenerate.[/p][/quote]You rock Gareth
  • Score: -15

6:35pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

I think emerging technologies can be a double-edged sword when it comes to job creation. Yes, new jobs will appear in the factories set up to produce these products, but at the same time the rapidly increasing automation of the workplace has been putting many people out of work for some time now. Part of the reason that the high street retail sector has died forcing many shops to close is that so many of us can now buy (myself included) the things we want to over the internet now. Similarly, imagine the day when secretaries, typists and admin people are no longer needed because letters can be dictated to a computer and then automatically printed out. So too, how many jobs are going to be lost when 3D printers can make objects that for thousands of years only skilled craftspeople could create? It has to be said, for all their faults the Luddites of the industrial revolution people can't be accused of not being visionary.
I think emerging technologies can be a double-edged sword when it comes to job creation. Yes, new jobs will appear in the factories set up to produce these products, but at the same time the rapidly increasing automation of the workplace has been putting many people out of work for some time now. Part of the reason that the high street retail sector has died forcing many shops to close is that so many of us can now buy (myself included) the things we want to over the internet now. Similarly, imagine the day when secretaries, typists and admin people are no longer needed because letters can be dictated to a computer and then automatically printed out. So too, how many jobs are going to be lost when 3D printers can make objects that for thousands of years only skilled craftspeople could create? It has to be said, for all their faults the Luddites of the industrial revolution people can't be accused of not being visionary. Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: -4

6:38pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’

And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors?
‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’ And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors? Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: -4

7:37pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’

And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors?
Google 'luddite'.
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: ‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’ And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors?[/p][/quote]Google 'luddite'. Stevenboy
  • Score: 6

8:54pm Wed 27 Aug 14

JanJenkins says...

Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Obviously You are not inconvenienced by the Celtic Manor's events. My Son has a business on Bulmore Rd, The council has just closed the road two weeks ahead of time, when the Council told people that the road will be closed for the Summit from 31st August.
Events at the Celtic Manor constantly closes Bulmore Road, Two cycle races during June and July 24hr notice of road closures for that, the International Golf tournament, another week, Each time my son looses trade, he nor his customers can access his business , usually the most we get is 24hrs notice if we're lucky, Entrance of his business blocked by watering station with no warning or permission , And you say its good for business, who's yours. or just Terry Mathews. because Newport doesn't seem to benefit from any of it, but course don't complain, nobody gives a toss.
[quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Obviously You are not inconvenienced by the Celtic Manor's events. My Son has a business on Bulmore Rd, The council has just closed the road two weeks ahead of time, when the Council told people that the road will be closed for the Summit from 31st August. Events at the Celtic Manor constantly closes Bulmore Road, Two cycle races during June and July 24hr notice of road closures for that, the International Golf tournament, another week, Each time my son looses trade, he nor his customers can access his business , usually the most we get is 24hrs notice if we're lucky, Entrance of his business blocked by watering station with no warning or permission , And you say its good for business, who's yours. or just Terry Mathews. because Newport doesn't seem to benefit from any of it, but course don't complain, nobody gives a toss. JanJenkins
  • Score: -5

8:59pm Wed 27 Aug 14

GogExile says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’

And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors?
I assume you dropped your comment on a papyrus scroll to the Argus office and they submitted it to this website on your behalf then?
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: ‘Embracing new technology for competitive advantage’ And, can this be re-interpreted as replacing workers with machines so that organisations and businesses can employ as few people as possible, thus maximising profits for the directors?[/p][/quote]I assume you dropped your comment on a papyrus scroll to the Argus office and they submitted it to this website on your behalf then? GogExile
  • Score: 7

9:25pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Mr.Jolly. says...

We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.
We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it. Mr.Jolly.
  • Score: -8

10:02pm Wed 27 Aug 14

GogExile says...

Mr.Jolly. wrote:
We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.
Good idea. Assuming that you're going to pay the wages of all the employees, their NI contributions, their income tax, the duty on all potential alcohol sales, the VAT on food and accommodation sales, the same for all suppliers, the business rates and so on and so forth. I assume you're a local self made millionaire and capable of meeting all of these contributions to the public purse? Just for free advertising, where exactly is your alternative conference venue that you built up from your own hard graft? I'd love to recommend it.
[quote][p][bold]Mr.Jolly.[/bold] wrote: We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.[/p][/quote]Good idea. Assuming that you're going to pay the wages of all the employees, their NI contributions, their income tax, the duty on all potential alcohol sales, the VAT on food and accommodation sales, the same for all suppliers, the business rates and so on and so forth. I assume you're a local self made millionaire and capable of meeting all of these contributions to the public purse? Just for free advertising, where exactly is your alternative conference venue that you built up from your own hard graft? I'd love to recommend it. GogExile
  • Score: 9

11:33pm Wed 27 Aug 14

cymruamblyth says...

Gareth wrote:
Mr Miffed wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
Stevenboy wrote:
Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.
Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,
I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.
Mr Miffed, we meet again...

Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow.

They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did.

We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.
And what about the pro Newport brigade who in most cases a personal attack is the best counter-argument these people can come up with to support they're rants about being positive about Newport..
[quote][p][bold]Gareth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Miffed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: Just goes to show you can't win. Ignore Wales and people say 'we are treated like a backwater', start bringing business here and people whinge about traffic, Matthews being successful blah blah. There really is no whinged like a Welsh whinged.[/p][/quote]Oooooooh - we must all be quiet - Steveyboy doesn't like it,[/p][/quote]I agree with Steven. Sometimes I think Wales will only ever be happy to wallow in self-pity. The evidence for that is the way in which they bemoan success (like Matthews) and detest anything that looks like it might drag them out of their stove-pipe hats and memories of the local pit.[/p][/quote]Mr Miffed, we meet again... Please do not think that the SWA trollers represent Wales. Some of us understood as a teenager that you really do reap what you sow. They sat around sowing nothing and are now angry that they reap zilch. Even more, they point fingers and whine at those who did. We're predominantly a country of people who made the effort, Mr Miffed, I'm sure.[/p][/quote]And what about the pro Newport brigade who in most cases a personal attack is the best counter-argument these people can come up with to support they're rants about being positive about Newport.. cymruamblyth
  • Score: -7

11:38pm Wed 27 Aug 14

cymruamblyth says...

I refer to the "Traders' concern over Newport Nato protest" some people like Sword of Truth had over 60 negative thumbs down
I refer to the "Traders' concern over Newport Nato protest" some people like Sword of Truth had over 60 negative thumbs down cymruamblyth
  • Score: 3

9:14am Thu 28 Aug 14

ohc says...

Is it true that the First Lady is insisting on coming to the NATO do because she's heard how good the shopping is in the Kingsway Centre?
Is it true that the First Lady is insisting on coming to the NATO do because she's heard how good the shopping is in the Kingsway Centre? ohc
  • Score: -1

9:46am Thu 28 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Mr.Jolly. wrote:
We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.
I've an idea. Let's close down your employer (let me guess, either you don't have one or it's of the 'paid out of public money' type job), and see if you can put such a positive spin on being unpaid (or un-benefitted) for a month.
[quote][p][bold]Mr.Jolly.[/bold] wrote: We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.[/p][/quote]I've an idea. Let's close down your employer (let me guess, either you don't have one or it's of the 'paid out of public money' type job), and see if you can put such a positive spin on being unpaid (or un-benefitted) for a month. Stevenboy
  • Score: 6

1:07pm Thu 28 Aug 14

JanJenkins says...

You nice gentlemen praising Mr T Matthews exciting business acumen, I might have some praises for him if he actually lived in the UK not Canada.
You nice gentlemen praising Mr T Matthews exciting business acumen, I might have some praises for him if he actually lived in the UK not Canada. JanJenkins
  • Score: -1

8:49am Fri 29 Aug 14

Mervyn James says...

SKY NEWS yesterday. "Issues in Ukraine will top of the NATO agenda at.... CARDIFF."
SKY NEWS yesterday. "Issues in Ukraine will top of the NATO agenda at.... CARDIFF." Mervyn James
  • Score: 1

1:14pm Fri 29 Aug 14

welshmen says...

Vince Cable, lost £1.2 Billion on the PO sale, and he's leading the business delegation on behalf of the British Tax payer, more losses on the way then....
Vince Cable, lost £1.2 Billion on the PO sale, and he's leading the business delegation on behalf of the British Tax payer, more losses on the way then.... welshmen
  • Score: 0

2:19pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Mr.Jolly. says...

I cannot contain my excitement.
I cannot contain my excitement. Mr.Jolly.
  • Score: -1

2:26pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Mr.Jolly. says...

Stevenboy wrote:
Mr.Jolly. wrote:
We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.
I've an idea. Let's close down your employer (let me guess, either you don't have one or it's of the 'paid out of public money' type job), and see if you can put such a positive spin on being unpaid (or un-benefitted) for a month.
My employer? HAHAHAHA!
Well I did work for BT and later the NHS and I am enjoying my retirement very much thank you Steven!
[quote][p][bold]Stevenboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr.Jolly.[/bold] wrote: We ought to Close the Celtic Horror for a month and see how Brown Nose Matthews likes it.[/p][/quote]I've an idea. Let's close down your employer (let me guess, either you don't have one or it's of the 'paid out of public money' type job), and see if you can put such a positive spin on being unpaid (or un-benefitted) for a month.[/p][/quote]My employer? HAHAHAHA! Well I did work for BT and later the NHS and I am enjoying my retirement very much thank you Steven! Mr.Jolly.
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree