GWENT Police have named the man who died following an assault in Trinant yesterday as Ian Davies.

Four people from Trinant were arrested on suspicion of murder last night as part of a murder investigation into the death of 27-year-old Mr Davies, who died in hospital following the assault on Saturday night.

Two men, both 26, and two women, aged 30 and 22, were arrested and remain in custody. Police said they are all from the Trinant area.

Gwent Police were called to a property on Marshfield Road in Trinant at about 7.30pm responding to reports of a man suffering a wound to his torso. Mr Davies was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport but later died.

It is understood Mr Davies lived on Marshfield Road and had a young son.

People in the village said he was known affectionately as ‘Psycho’.

Mr Davies is a former player for Trinant Rugby Football Club, but a club representative said he had not played for them for some time.

Neighbours said Mr Davies’ mother, father and other close family all live in the village.

A woman, who lives on Trinant Terrace, said she was unable to get to sleep until the early hours in the morning because of sirens and noise made by the police, who cordoned off the street on Saturday night. It remained taped off today with police cars parked at the two entrances to the roads onto Trinant Terrace and Llanerch Road.

She said: “Everyone knows everyone else around here – it is such a close community.”

A man, who asked not to be named, who lives on Cedar Road, heard loud sirens in the village from about 7pm onwards on Saturday night. He saw an ambulance and police cars in the village at 7.30pm when he went out to walk his dog. He said: “It was terrible.”

Another neighbour said news of Mr Davies’ death had spread across on Facebook on Saturday evening.

One man said Mr Davies was “a good boy”.

Niaz Iqbal, who works in the Premier convenience store on Trinant Terrace in the centre of the village, was shocked to hear the news. He said: “They are nice people here.”