MONMOUTH Town’s Kingfishers claimed an important scalp in their own challenge for league honours as they comfortably saw off table topping Taffs Well at the Sportsground last Saturday with second half goals from Ben Evans and Dan MacDonald. The gusty conditions made life a little more difficult for the players and clearly influenced the key action areas which in the first half were much more toward the Town goal, Taffs however, although skilful and busy on occasions created very little with their territorial advantage . Simon Prangley , a summer target for eh Kingfishers showed some deft skills but was well marshalled by Dan Clare while skipper Alderdice was putting g in a man of the match performance. Going forward although the Town were still missing the suspended Elliot Ford they had more than enough threat with Evans, Harrhy and MacDonald and Sam Palmer showing more confidence than he has of ;late. Neither 'keeper was unduly worried through the half and the match was shaping into a great game of football rather than a game of great football.

With the wind advantage in the second half Town made the most of their opportunities, looking very compact and solid in defence and more penetrative up front with Harry leading eh line and MacDonald popping up all over the place. Evans rattled th bar on the hour mark from an Evans cross and Harrhy just failed to put in the rebound but it was the rangy defender who opened the scoring on 67 minutes drilling his shot into the ground and it made its way through a thicket of players in to the net. Taffs needed a calmer response than the one they dished up, coming off second best in tackles and in referee decisions which more often than not were debateable rather than decisive. Then MacDonald popped up again drifting to his right and getting away a sweet strike across the keeper and in to the delight of the home supporters.

Town continued to dominate and Harrhy, MacDonald went close, Dean Lee continued his fine form with a few slaloms and Adam Davies was his usual solid self at right back. The rock that is Rob Laurie held firm too and Town, sponsored by WyeMedia and Raduni Restaurant saw out a very good victory against a very good team.

Town will be looking to move into second place with a game against Aberbargoed on Thursday evening before returning to league action at the Sportsground on Saturday 28th when they take on Aberdare Town in another critical game. Their last sixteen Welsh Cup game against Porthmadoc has been confirmed for the Sportsground on Saturday 1st February at 1.30 when S4C Scorio cameras may be present for the first time in Monmouth.