THE Dragons shared the spoils with a Guinness PRO14 big gun at Rodney Parade for the second time this season thanks to a spirited display against title-chasing Glasgow.

Bernard Jackman’s side were disappointed when Ulster salvaged a draw at the death in December but this time they should be pretty pleased at becoming only the second side to avoid defeat against the Warriors.

They didn’t get the first league victory since September that they desired but two points were earned the hard way with plenty of defensive steel in the second half to go along with the attacking flair of Wales hopeful Hallam Amos in the first half.

Amos was sent for game time by Wales boss Warren Gatland and he responded with a performance to give the New Zealander something of a selection headache.

The full-back impressed on the wing in all four autumn Tests but lost his spot because of an ankle strain suffered against Cardiff Blues in Newport on Boxing Day.

He would have been told to put his name in the hat for Ireland in round three of the Six Nations and he did that with some impressive kicking (a facet of his game that has improved greatly), powerful running and good decision-making.

If Amos repeats the trick against Benetton Treviso next weekend, if released, then he will be in the mix for Dublin along with Josh Adams, Steff Evans, Leigh Halfpenny, George North and Liam Williams. Sadly six into three doesn’t go.

The Dragons will head into that game against the Italians in Newport a week on Sunday chasing a first PRO14 success since the Southern Kings, and they can be fairly content with their display against a Glasgow team who have only been beaten in their derby with Edinburgh this term.

Amos shone with ball in hand while centre Jack Dixon, who made his debut in the same game at Wasps back in 2011, was just as impressive without the ball with a huge tackle count and appetite for work.

They were scrambling a little in the second half against a Glasgow side that bossed possession and territory but, with Leon Brown and Harrison Keddie putting in some telling hits, they held firm.

The Dragons went into the game buoyed by home wins against Bordeaux-Begles in the European Challenge Cup and Worcester in the Anglo-Welsh.

They were also helped by Glasgow’s lengthy list of international absentees, although their trip to Swansea in the autumn showed that there is no such thing as a weak Warriors team.

The Scots romped to a 47-6 win at the Ospreys and returned to Wales with a record of played 13, won 12 in the league.

The Dragons needed a good start and they couldn’t have got a better one with a peach of a kick by Amos pinning the Warriors inside their 22 for a lineout that was overthrown.

Aaron Wainwright claimed and went close, as did fellow back rower Harrison Keddie, but the ball was moved left then right for hooker Liam Belcher to finish smartly after a little dummy with Adam Warren waiting on the wing.

Fly-half Zane Kirchner failed with the conversion and then smacked the right post with a 40-metre penalty in the 13th minute.

He was made to pay for those misses when Glasgow levelled after a strong driving lineout then nice chip that put centre Brandon Thompson over.

It should have been 7-5 to the visitors only for the man with responsibility for the kicking tee to be napping, forcing Adam Hastings to try a drop goal conversion that struck the right post.

However, the fly-half was soon bisecting the posts with a penalty to give them a well-deserved 8-5 lead after a quarter.

Glasgow were bossing matters and their dominance and precision was reflected on the scoreboard when Warren went too high on centre Nick Grigg, who then put Horne over for a try that Hastings improved for 15-5 after 25 minutes.

The Dragons had been second best yet they headed into the break on level terms after finishing the half strongly, albeit temporarily without Wales centre Tyler Morgan because of a head injury.

First Kirchner booted over a penalty after pressure in the 22 and then wing Jared Rosser scored a cracker that was made by that man Amos.

The full-back showed fast feet and power to burst through from inside his own half then dinked a kick over the top for his fellow speedster to gather and cross, Kirchner converting.

It was nip and tuck at the start of the second half with the Dragons breathing a sigh of relief when Amos ran off a knock after his ankle got trapped under a Glasgow body.

The hosts had to dig deep as the Warriors went in search of their lead again with a couple of key turnovers in the 22 giving Jackman’s men some much-needed respite.

Replacement Leon Brown, back for the first time since suffering a concussion against the All Blacks in November, was putting in some telling blows but the Dragons needed some field position.

The scoreboard was yet to change as the game entered the final quarter and Warren was almost in when he picked off Thompson’s pass only to lose his footing when making the catch on the 22.

Both teams were running out of time to find a winner but it was the Warriors that looked a little fresher, the Dragons having a number of players on the comeback from long-term injuries.

Glasgow botched a late change for a drop goal – replacement centre Jarryd Sage superbly getting over the ball for a relieving penalty – and the Dragons held on for two hard-earned points.

Dragons: H Amos, A Warren, T Morgan (J Sage 36-40), J Dixon (J Sage 62), J Rosser, Z Kirchner, D Babos (S Pretorius 46), S Hobbs (G Ellis 37), L Belcher (E Shipp 62), L Fairbrother (L Brown 40), J Davies, R Landman, A Wainwright, J Benjamin, H Keddie (captain).

Scorers: tries – L Belcher, J Rosser; conversion – Z Kirchner; penalty – Z Kirchner

Glasgow: R Jackson, L Jones, N Grigg, B Thompson (P Kelly 73), R Tagive (N Matawalu 60), A Hastings, G Horne (H Pyrgos 62), A Allan (O Kebble 60), J Malcolm (G Stewart ), D Rae (A Nicol 78), R Harley (captain), G Peterson (K McDonald 67), M Fagerson, C Fusaro (M Smith 62), A Ashe.

Scorers: tries – B Thompson, G Horne; conversion – A Hastings; penalty – A Hastings

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

Attendance: 4,159

Argus star man: Hallam Amos