Five wickets from their new record-breaker James Anderson and Joe Root's career-best unbeaten 79 helped England ease to victory over New Zealand in the second one-day international in Napier to level up the series at 1-1.

There was just one anxious passage of play for the tourists when Ross Taylor (100) and Brendon McCullum (74) were transforming a previously ponderous home innings with a century stand in only 53 balls. But Anderson, who had taken two new-ball wickets, returned to finish with five for 23 as New Zealand lost their last six for 26 runs.

A resulting 269 all out, after Alastair Cook had put them in, appeared vulnerable at this venue associated with high ODI totals. So it proved as Cook (78), Root and Jonathan Trott (65no) all passed 50 to get the job done with eight wickets and more than two overs to spare.

Taylor had earlier rejoined forces with his successor as captain McCullum to devastating effect. England's discomfort ended, though, when McCullum holed out to long-on off Stuart Broad to provide telling respite after his blitz of nine fours and four sixes off 36 deliveries.

The more sedate statistics of Taylor's 116-ball seventh ODI hundred were evidence of necessary early caution in his fifth innings since returning to international cricket. He still managed nine fours and his team's first six before he was finally ninth out - caught behind off Anderson in the penultimate over.

Earlier in the innings, BJ Watling - Anderson's solitary, milestone victim in England's defeat in Hamilton - succumbed once more, undone by away movement and edging low to Cook at slip. Anderson doubled up with the wicket of ODI debutant Hamish Rutherford, who duly mistimed haplessly into the hands of Cook.

A double-change, to Chris Woakes (three for 68) and Broad, released the stranglehold as Taylor began to find his range. Woakes had Kane Williamson chopping on to his stumps as he aimed to fetch the ball from outside off to leg. Grant Elliott kept Taylor company, only to mis-hook the deserving Steven Finn to long-leg.

However, Graeme Swann's final over cost 17, and then Woakes' next 21 - thanks almost entirely to McCullum, who hit the last four balls for 6-4-4-4. There was no hiding place for England until McCullum went, and hastened a collapse around Taylor as others tried and failed to match what had gone before.

The anti-climax suggested England had sound prospects of a successful chase - and after Cook and Ian Bell's 89-run opening stand in 20 overs, that impression was still intact. It was a switch to the spinners which brought the hosts a breakthrough, Bell getting underneath a sweep at Williamson to be caught on the square-leg boundary.

Cook still appeared to be carrying the game, as he and Trott put on another 60. But the captain could not convert a 67-ball 50 into three figures, tamely chipping a full toss straight back to Tim Southee. However, an unbroken century partnership from Trott and Root always kept the equation in England's favour.