Monday, December 28, 1936


Ban on South Wales coal sales

The chairman of the National Industrial Development Council of Wales and Monmouthshire, Mr George Williams, has sent to the Prime Minister a letter supporting Colonel Bristow’s remarks on the “iniquity of the Central Council of Coalowners stopping the sales of South Wales coal to prospective customers, and asking for Government intervention.”

In his letter Mr Williams states that “during the past four years the Naitonal Industrial Development Council have been endeavouring by every possible means to attract to this area firms specialising in coal processing.

“Having at last succeeded in getting a few companies already successfully commercially established, to consider the possibilities of erecting low temperature carbonisation plants in the special areas of South Wales and Monmouthshire, the National Industrial Development Council and the general public of South Wales and Monmouthshire feel very strongly that the efforts of the council will be frustrated and the special areas deprived of the prosperity which would accrue.

“We venture, therefore, to hope that you will influence the reconsideration of the decision of the Central Coal Council.”


Gwent Police seek driver who did not stop

Trellech Road tragedy

Early on Sunday morning a postman in a lonely lane near Trellech nearly stumbled over the body of ‘Tommy’ May, a sixty-five year old farm labourer. Monmouthshire police are now searching for the driver of a vehicle which, there is little doubt, knocked down and killed the old man.

The Chief Constable of Monmouthshire, Colonel W. R. Lucas has asked the South Wales Argus to request anyone who is able to give information of vehicles on the Groes Robert-road leading from Trellech to the Raglan and Usk-road between 1am and 8.30am on Sunday, to communicate with him, telephone Abergavenny 120, or the Monmouth Police Station, telephone, Monmouth 36.

An appeal was also broadcast from the West Regional Station on Sunday evening.

The postman, who was on his rounds when he found the body, is John Jones, of Rose Cottage, Cleddon, Trellech.

May’s body was found face downward at a lonely part of the road which is only just wide enough to take a large car or lorry.

May’s arms were broken and there were face and head injuries, while his clothes were torn and covered with grease and oil.

There here the body was found. On the roadside were found a brace of rabbits and a flagon of beer, believed to have belonged to May.

Colonel Lucas, Superintendent J. Lewis, of Monmouth, and other police visited the district and many inquires were made.

May is believed to be unmarried and no relatives are known.

He was employed by Mr. Joseph Miles, of Pentre Wheeler Farm, Trellech. He had spent Boxing night with his friends at the Lion Inn, Trellech.

Wednesday, December 28

Trellech Road Mustery

Farm worker who had cheque

The inquest on Thomas May, 65, farm worker, of Trellech, whose body was discovered early on Sunday morning on the Groes-Robert-road, Trellech, by a postman, was opened by the Monmouth Coroner, Mr. Herbert Williams.

Since the discovery the police have made wide inquiries because of a belief that the man was knocked over by a motor vehicle.

Joseph Miles, of Pentre-Wheeler Farm, Trellech, said he had known May about twenty years. The man had worked for him “off and on.” May went to the farm about three weeks ago, and Miles said he saw him on the afternoon of Boxing Day.

The Coroner: Did he say where he was going? – He was going to Trellech for a drink. We knew near enough that was about it.

You gave him a cheque before he went out? – Yes, for £2.

Was it on Lloyds Bank at Monmouth? – Yes.

Miles said the cheque was for wages. On Boxing Night he left the door open until 1am, and Miles’s son, when he returned home, saw that May was not in. The door was bolted.

Miles explained that May had not been away for three weeks. When May was paid he would go away, and they at the farm would not know when he would return. May, when working, was never late arriving at the farm.

Asked if May were fond of drink, Miles replied, “Yes I think so.”

Miles added that he did not know whether the cheque had been cashed.

The inquest was adjourned until January 11.