A TEENAGE boy died after he took an overdose of ecstasy at an under-18s rave, an inquest has heard.

Jackson Gibbons, 15, had six times what would be considered a "safe" level of ecstasy in his blood and was seen "shaking violently" and "struggling to breathe".

But despite suffering an adverse reaction to the pills almost straight away, Jackson's friend, who cannot be named, did not call an ambulance until almost an hour later.

The teenager had travelled from his home in Abersychan, Pontypool, to attend the rave at Lakota nightclub in Bristol.

His worried parents reported their son missing after he phoned them on April 2, 2018, and told them he had taken drugs - but would not tell them where he was.

Jackson's retired policeman father Tyrone Gibbons appeared at his inquest at Avon Coroner's Court in Bristol to recall the day of his son's death.

He said: "By the time my wife got up at 10am that morning, Jackson was not in his room, and we then found that he wasn't in the house.

"I texted Jackson to ask where he was, and he replied saying he was not in a particularly good mood and he was going to a friend's house.

"At that time, through the day, the afternoon and into the evening we believed that he was somewhere local."

Mr Gibbons added: "He did speak some months previously about wanting to go to Bristol with his friend in the future and staying overnight. But I told him, that's not going to happen, you're too young."

Speaking of the night Jackson died, Mr Gibbons added: "At 8.51pm I texted him to ask what time he was coming home, but had no reply, so I took it upon myself to phone him.

"He answered the phone quite quickly. I asked when he was coming home, and he asked if I could pick him up from the train station in the morning.

"He sounded like he was upset. His tone was very gentle, and quite soft. I asked if he had taken drugs, and he said 'yes'.

"I told him to let me know where he was, but he again asked if I could pick him up from the train station in the morning.

"Rather than aggravate him, the conversation ended there."

He said that his wife then reported Jackson missing, and that the concerned parents subsequently heard from Jackson's friend twice.

"One thing he kept saying was that Jackson was with him and he was safe," said Mr Gibbons.

"I said: 'You know as well as I do, kids have died from taking drugs. Do yourself a favour and let me know where you are'.

"The next time I heard from him was over an hour-and-a-half later, when he called me in a complete panic.

"He said that Jackson was "shaking violently" and "struggling to breathe".

"He said we needed to come here right this minute, as there was a paramedic pushing down on Jackson's chest."

DC Owen Draper, investigating police officer into Jackson's death, said that the two friends had arrived at the Premier Inn hotel at the Haymarket in Bristol city centre at around 12.35pm on April 2.

They had then left the hotel to go to Lakota nightclub at around 7pm that evening, and each brought three ecstasy tablets with them to the club.

Jackson's friend later told DC Draper that these tablets were provided by him.

DC Draper said: "Jackson's friend had some concerns about Jackson as they were leaving the club.

But DC Draper added: "He did not call Jackson's mum and dad or an ambulance, as Jackson told him not to tell his parents."

The inquest heard that it was almost an hour before Jackson's friend finally called an ambulance - at 10.49pm, after Jackson had started reacting to the pills at 9.54pm.

DC Draper said: "It is my understanding that Jackson did not want his friend to call an ambulance, as he did not want his parents to know where he was.

"Jackson had taken three strong pills, and Jackson's friend was also on drugs and so was not thinking coherently.

"Eventually, Jackson's condition got so bad that his friend called the ambulance."

Jackson was pronounced dead at the Premier Inn hotel at 11.45pm on April 2, after paramedics tried all they could to resuscitate him.

Concluding the inquest, Assistant Coroner Dr Simon Fox recorded Jackson's cause of death as toxic effects of MDMA/ecstasy.

He said: "It is my understanding that Jackson collapsed and died after taking ecstasy. My condolences go to his family."