THESE photographs are of the former Peglers store and Mills Tailors, on the corner of The Cross (where George Street, Commercial Street, Lower and Upper Crane Street crossed) in Pontypool, and show the store after the Pontypool Fire Brigade put out a massive fire there in 1929.

The building was quickly refurbished and remained a shop with offices above for the rest of the twentieth century – latterly being the Stead & Simpson shoe shop, until it closed early in the twenty first century.

The building was refurbished several years ago as part of the Heritage Lottery Funded Townscape Initiative but unfortunately has not been occupied since.

Free Press Series:

(The fire brigade at the former Peglers store and Mills Tailors in Pontypool after a fire in 1929. Picture: Torfaen Museum.)

If you are interested in or researching a local history topic, people or places in Torfaen, the museum's local studies archive and library has thousands of photographs, slides, postcards, books, newspapers and ephemera documents for reference.

The archive and library is open (by appointment) on Wednesdays and Thursdays by volunteers 10am to 3pm. To book an appointment, call 01495 752036

Nostalgia is provided by Torfaen Museum.