SUNNYBANK House is a late Georgian cottage which was extended during Victorian times to become a large and attractive detached residence.

For more than fifty years it was the home of school founder, alderman, councillor and grocer, John Daniel.

John Daniel was born near Pantygasseg in 1832, the son of local farmer and minister of the Capel-yr-Ynys Chapel, Herbert Daniel.

In his teens, he bought a small shop in Abersychan and from there started his grocery store ‘chain’ with later shops in Crane Street and Griffithstown.

The Daniel & Sons shop in Crane Street traded for many years until the 1950s.

Free Press Series:

An original leaflet for Daniel & Sons in Griffithstown. Picture: Torfaen Museum.

Mr Daniel was also a strong community and education minded citizen, serving on the Trevethin School Board, alderman and chairman of Monmouthshire County Council, founder of West Monmouthshire School and of the Agricultural College at Usk, member of the Welsh Education Board and was also a magistrate.

He donated some of his land to build a Congregational Chapel in High Street, Abersychan where he served as deacon, treasurer and Sunday School teacher for more than 50 years until his death in 1920.

The Daniel family continued to live at Sunnybank House for several years.

The museum's library and archive collection also has an original leaflet for Daniel & Sons Pontypool Shopping.

Nostalgia is provided by Torfaen Museum.