A frustrating season for Llanarth, both with bad weather and indifferent on-field performances, continued in something of a local derby match at Monkswood.

Things started well enough after winning the toss and electing to field as an early run out was executed after a smart stop from Nowell at short cover. Opening bowlers Spencer and Baxter (3-45) bowled with good accuracy and Baxter soon struck clean bowling Jones for another early breakthrough.

A third wicket partnership got Monkswood going but the Trees were to rue three dropped chances to dispatch the batsmen back to the pavilion.

The introductions of Lomax (2-31) and Powell (2-18) to the attack swung the game firmly back in Llanarth's favour and when the returning Baxter cleaned up Malson for 39 the Monkswood innings was tottering at 120-7.

However Roberts and Weller counter-attacked effectively with both scoring valuable thirties to take the final total to 174-9.

The score should have within range for a Llanarth team with seven specialist batsmen and a number eight with four centuries to his name but the innings started badly when Lomax was held smartly from a well struck pull.

Baxter (57) and Heath saw the score to 58 before the latter was taken at slip, shortly followed back to the hutch by skipper G Powell.

The Trees were struck a massive blow with the score at 99 when Baxter was bowled, for a decent half-century, when trying to work the ball into the leg-side.

Ian MacKinlay, returning to the club after an eleven year absence, strode to the crease and immediately threatened to win the game himself in striking three authoritative boundaries from his first ten balls but hopes were dashed when he then missed a full bunger to be castled at 115-5.

Nowell and Michell tried to repair the damage but both perished with 27 still required.

The subsequent run out of C Powell meant the game was beyond the Trees and they had to try to settle for the 2pts available for not being all out it was the tiniest crumb of consolation in a pretty disheartening defeat as the innings closed on 150-9.