MONMOUTH Town’s Kingfishers, prior to the enforced winter lay off, were purring away - taking Welsh Premier visitors to the wire , within striking distance of the top of the Welsh league and firing on all cylinders.

It seemed normal service was resumed during last week’s first half as the Town surged to a 3 - 1 half time lead against Barry Town only to be pegged back and overtaken. The trend continued here against lowly opposition, albeit a team clearly strengthened since their 5 - 1 defeat in Monmouth back in November.

Town went behind in the 15th minute to a wonderful solo goal from former Barry favourite Josh Bell before Ben Evans finished with aplomb from a wonderful cross from his centre half partner Jacob Guy.

Bell again cut through the Town defence and left Blackburn flat footed with a curling drive into the far corner then Evans’ long ball was gathered beautifully by Ford who rounded the home keeper and slotted in producing another good goal that belied a game big on effort but decidedly light on real quality from either side.

Bridgend kept the ball better than Town but did little with it and although Monmouth did threaten to cut loose, too often the final ball was poor and the execution sub standard leaving a decent enough crowd with little to cheer on a cold night.

Monmouth did have a couple of attempts disallowed for offside and a couple of feisty exchanges threatened to warm the night up before finally a real pearl among the pebbles as Ford, Harrhy and MacDonald linked up to slice open the Bridgend defence and Harrhy’s first time cushioned volley won the match for the Kingfishers.

At the death Alderdice’s late surge took him clear and although his pass set up sub Compton for an easy finish, the youngster dithered and struck it straight at the prone defender.

This Saturday, Town are at home to Welsh League champions Cambrian and Clydach looking to continue their own title challenge. Kick off 2pm Meanwhile the Reserves title challenge also floundered as they were held 2 - 2 at home against Abertillery who scored with possibly their only attacks of the game. Chris Hyde and Craig Lewis were on target for the Town.