Cup Football Round-up

CALDICOT Castle A and Portskewett & Sudbrook A booked their place in Round 3 of the Gwent FA Amateur Cup at the weekend, writes Bob Cypher.

Recent heavy rain meant neither team’s home ground was fit for play so Castle’s match against Ponthir was switched to their opponent’s pitch while Port & Sud played Garnlydan on Caldicot Leisure Centre’s 3G surface.

Despite the loss of home advantage, Castle won 4-3 and Port & Sud triumphed 7-6 in extra time.

Castle player-manager Joe O’Brien said his team started slowly once again.

“We started poorly again,” he admitted.

“Ponthir scored early doors and we made a mistake to allow them in for 2-0.

“I pulled one back after good play between Rick Woodland and Sean Marsh before Sean squared it to me to finish.

“But we went 3-1 down at half time when Craig McCluskey’s attempted clearance hit their striker’s foot and deflected into our goal.

“But the second half was much different. We started well and Ciaran Adamson made it 3-2 with a great header.

“One of their centre backs tried to head back to the keeper but I stole the ball to equalise.

“We won it when Gary McGrath came off the bench to score in the last five minutes to book our place in the next round.”

It was a different story on the 3G where Port & Sud skipper Jordon Poole led by example.

The local side were 3-1 up at half time and appeared to be coasting at 5-3 with five minutes left on the watch.

“They scored twice to make it 5-5 and take us into extra time,” Port & Sud boss Mike Panacci said.

“But we kept going and scored twice although they scored their sixth with the last kick of the game.

“Our scorers were man of the match Lewis Brown with four goals, Andrews Beames (2) and Scott Lovell getting the others.”

In the other tie involving an East Gwent club, Thornwell Red & White lost 3-2 at home to Fairfield United, and in the Gwent Intermediate Cup, Severn Tunnel lost 5-2 at Pontnewynydd in a match switched from Rogiet as the pitch was ruled unplayable.

Chris Taylor and Rhys Briscoe with a penalty scored for Tunnel.