Monmouthshire Windows

East Gwent League Division 1

DESPITE being in Amateur Cup action, Caldicot Castle remain leaders following a 1-1 draw between Severn Tunnel and Iscoed Tafarn, writes Bob Cypher.

“It wasn’t a great game,” admitted Tunnel player-coach Paul Light.

“There was a lot of tough tackling but it was played in good spirits.

“There were a few chances for both teams in the first half but we scored on the hour after good work from Jordan Griffiths down the right.

“He went past the Tafarn player with his pace and whipped a lovely ball into the area for Tom Atkins to score with a very good diving header.

“Tafarn put us under pressure in the latter stages and scored with seven minutes left.

“We had a final chance when Jordan had a shot outside the box which brought out a very good save from their keeper but it was a pretty fair result in the end.”

The result leaves Tafarn one point behind Castle with Thornwell Red & White A - 1-0 winners at Sudbrook CC A - in third place with two games in hand over the top two.

Monmouth Town missed a chance to close the gap, losing 3-2 at Portskewett & Sudbrook A, and Undy Athletic won 1-0 at Rockfield Rovers.

This Saturday sees Thornwell take on Caldicot Town in the Benevolent Cup semi-final, while Sudbrook CC B entertain Caldicot Castle A at Mill Lane in the other semi (KO 1.15pm).

In league games, Severn Tunnel welcome Monmouth Town to Rogiet, Iscoed Tafarn are home to Undy Athletic and Port & Sud A entertain Rockfield Rovers, (KO 2.15pm)

Division 2

WITH Caldicot Town in cup action this weekend, Thornwell Red & White B can take over the leadership - if they win at Raglan.

Town and Thornwell are locked together at the top, only separated by goal difference, and both are nine points ahead of Raglan who drew 1-1 at home to Chepstow Athletic at the weekend.

As Town were without a game, Thornwell B took full advantage with a 3-1 win over visiting Caldicot Castle B, despite having a depleted side.

“We went a goal down in the first five minutes,” Thornwell’s Terry Woodward said later.

“Our first team was short so they had some of our players and after conceding the goal, it took us 20 minutes or so to get into the game.

“Alex Schroepfer scored the equaliser before half-time and we were denied a few goals by Castle’s keeper.

“Our keeper Jordan Doyle pumped a deep clearance which was misjudged by their defence and Nick Cleary smashed a half volley from just inside the penalty area.

“Five minutes from the end, some good work by Liam Murray led to Matthew Pearce scoring our third.

“Man of the match was Steve Jones, and I enjoyed the battle because Castle had their moments and they made us work for the three points.”

Chepstow Town’s match against Sudbrook B was postponed but Tintern Abbey enjoyed a goal fest with the 14-1 hammering of Port & Sud B.

Fixtures this Saturday (KO 2.15pm): Castle B v Chepstow Town, Chepstow Athletic v Tintern Abbey, Raglan v Thornwell B.