WALES will mix it with the Nations League big boys after extending their unbeaten run with a 3-1 win over Finland at Cardiff City Stadium.

A draw was all that was needed in the capital to win Group B4 and earn promotion to the top level of the competition.

That was on from the moment that Finland were reduced to 10 men after just 11 minutes after Harry Wilson was clumsily dragged down by Jere Uronen as he ran in on goal.

Wilson scored the opener after 28 minutes and Daniel James drove home a cracker soon after the restart.

That strike meant promotion – and possibly a 2022 World Cup play-off – was pretty much secure against the 10 men.

Free Press Series:

Job done, Gareth Bale was withdrawn on the hour only for the visitors to strike with a well-crafted goal for Norwich forward Teemu Pukki, the first conceded by Wales in a competitive match since October 2019.

The Finns then enjoyed a period of pressure before the spoils were sealed by Kieffer Moore, who nodded home a clipped James cross.

From a Newport County AFC viewpoint, the only disappointment of the night was that Josh Sheehan, who won his first cap against the USA last week, and goalkeeper Tom King remained on the bench.

The only other fly in the ointment was that supporters didn't get the chance to toast the success from the stands.

But Wales, led by caretaker boss Robert Page in the absence of Ryan Giggs after allegations of assault that he denies, deservedly head up after an 11th game without defeat, topping a group that also contained the Republic of Ireland and Bulgaria.

Just 11 minutes were on the clock when a Finnish free-kick was cunning but too floated and Danny Ward claimed before clearing long for Harry Wilson.

The forward, who had earlier had a good shout for a penalty after being blocked off in the box, got the wrong side of Uronen and was brought down 25 metres out.

Free Press Series:

Referee Jesus Gil Manzano had no option but to show red for denying a scoring opportunity.

Yet Wales should have been behind in the 16th minute when Daniel O’Shaughnessy failed to hit the target when unmarked from a corner.

Finland goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky kept it goalless by tipping over a dangerous Rhys Norrington-Davies cross and then saving superbly from Bale, although the talisman will feel he should have converted from close range after Daniel James crossed from the right.

But the Tottenham forward then turned provider after 28 minutes with a superb through ball for Wilson to finish calmly.

Wales only needed to draw and were leading against 10 men yet their dominance of possession meant there were goals to be had.

They probed away but failed to get a second before half-time and caretaker boss Robert Page responded by bringing on striker Kieffer Moore for defender James Lawrence for the second half.

Free Press Series:

Yet it was the rather more diminutive James that got the goal to seal promotion, slamming in from distance.

However, Wales were then given a jolt when Joe Rodon, fresh from being given the armband by captain Bale, missed a header and Pukki finished strongly.

That strike after 62 minutes was followed by Ward having to save strongly after Nicholas Hamalainen was worked in down the left before Joona Toivio turned and fired a yard past the near post with quarter of an hour to go.

Finland continued to look lively but were killed off by Moore’s header before Pukki slammed against the post.

The final act was Newport's Chris Gunter moving a game away from an international century with his 99th cap in injury time.