Byron Hayward lands Scarlets job

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

BYRON Hayward is leaving his role with the Newport Gwent Dragons academy to become defence coach at the Scarlets.

The 45-year-old from Blaina, who won two caps, heads to west Wales after being skills coach with the Dragons’ age-grade teams.

The former fly-half/full-back will also leave his role as head coach of Wales Under-20s, who he led at the Junior World Championship this summer.

“It's nice to be back at the top end of rugby and back into week to week intense high level rugby,” said Hayward.

“When you come into the professional game it's relentless and quite challenging at times as I found out in the Premiership with Sale but that's what I'm looking forward to.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:40pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Warbles says...

It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward!
It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward! Warbles
  • Score: 1

2:25pm Thu 14 Aug 14

b3talover says...

Warbles wrote:
It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward!
You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.
[quote][p][bold]Warbles[/bold] wrote: It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward![/p][/quote]You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players. b3talover
  • Score: -1

2:25pm Thu 14 Aug 14

b3talover says...

proven*
proven* b3talover
  • Score: 2

3:23pm Thu 14 Aug 14

SWBorderer says...

b3talover wrote:
Warbles wrote:
It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward!
You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.
Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability.
[quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warbles[/bold] wrote: It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward![/p][/quote]You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.[/p][/quote]Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability. SWBorderer
  • Score: 1

7:44pm Thu 14 Aug 14

b3talover says...

SWBorderer wrote:
b3talover wrote:
Warbles wrote:
It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward!
You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.
Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability.
Just looking at the evidence, you know, things like overall league performance compared with the other professional Welsh regions over the last 10 years. Care to remind me how competitive the Dragons are in this respect? Surely if they had players of greater ability then they would consistently finish higher in the league than their rivals. They don't, therefore their players are of lower ability.
[quote][p][bold]SWBorderer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warbles[/bold] wrote: It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward![/p][/quote]You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.[/p][/quote]Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability.[/p][/quote]Just looking at the evidence, you know, things like overall league performance compared with the other professional Welsh regions over the last 10 years. Care to remind me how competitive the Dragons are in this respect? Surely if they had players of greater ability then they would consistently finish higher in the league than their rivals. They don't, therefore their players are of lower ability. b3talover
  • Score: 2

8:26pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Robert Shillabeer says...

SWBorderer wrote:
b3talover wrote:
Warbles wrote:
It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward!
You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.
Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability.
Hey SouthWales Borderer good to see you still taking an interest. People in a pro sport move on because of the new challenges to them personally it's got nothing to do with the ability of the side or players they leave, it's about money and the challenge which is a great motivator in both spheres. It will also be a challenge for whoever comes in to take over as the Dragons board are business people and won't tolerate failure. Best of luck to him, maybe he will be good at it or perhaps on the dole sonnet than later, that's the risk he takes I suppose.
[quote][p][bold]SWBorderer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warbles[/bold] wrote: It seems that the Scarlets management can see more potential in our coaches than the Dragons management do; first Wilson now Hayward![/p][/quote]You can't really turn down a promotion from a semi professional development region to a fully professional region though. It's a step up now they have proved themselves with lower ability players.[/p][/quote]Last time l looked they had at least 6 current Welsh Internationals, interesting to see you describe them as lower ability.[/p][/quote]Hey SouthWales Borderer good to see you still taking an interest. People in a pro sport move on because of the new challenges to them personally it's got nothing to do with the ability of the side or players they leave, it's about money and the challenge which is a great motivator in both spheres. It will also be a challenge for whoever comes in to take over as the Dragons board are business people and won't tolerate failure. Best of luck to him, maybe he will be good at it or perhaps on the dole sonnet than later, that's the risk he takes I suppose. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: -2

9:39pm Thu 14 Aug 14

SWBorderer says...

Hi Robert, l totally agree with you, l have no problem with people moving on, l have no problem with constructive criticism of the Dragons, l do get fed up with the whingers who criticise for the sake of it. I have supported rugby at Rodney Parade since 1957 and whilst l am now unable to attend l will support it to the end.
Hi Robert, l totally agree with you, l have no problem with people moving on, l have no problem with constructive criticism of the Dragons, l do get fed up with the whingers who criticise for the sake of it. I have supported rugby at Rodney Parade since 1957 and whilst l am now unable to attend l will support it to the end. SWBorderer
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Melvyn The Milk says...

b3talover wrote:
proven*
Right first time. Proved is correct. Proven is an adjective. I must get out more.
[quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: proven*[/p][/quote]Right first time. Proved is correct. Proven is an adjective. I must get out more. Melvyn The Milk
  • Score: 0

12:02am Fri 15 Aug 14

b3talover says...

Melvyn The Milk wrote:
b3talover wrote:
proven*
Right first time. Proved is correct. Proven is an adjective. I must get out more.
The past participle of prove can be either proved or proven, both are acceptable it seems.
[quote][p][bold]Melvyn The Milk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: proven*[/p][/quote]Right first time. Proved is correct. Proven is an adjective. I must get out more.[/p][/quote]The past participle of prove can be either proved or proven, both are acceptable it seems. b3talover
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree