THIS grade II listed, stone built viaduct was built in the 1870s to link the London and North Western Railway (at Brynmawr and Blaenavon) to the Great Western Railway (at Talywain and Abersychan).

The engineer John Gardner designed the viaduct with nine arches to carry the railway line over the Ffrwd Valley (the Ffrwd being a tributary of the Afon Lwyd).

Initially the line carried coal to and from Blaenavon but a passenger service was later introduced.

These services ceased in 1941 during the Second World War and the railway use ceased entirely after Big Pit closed in 1980.

The railway line has now long gone and the viaduct is part of the National Cycle Network route 46.

Nostalgia is provided by Torfaen Museum.