In 1924, Ralph’s Garages of Abertillery were granted a licence to locally operate three buses (or charabancs as they were then known).

Two years later the service was increased under licence with the routes extended from Abertillery to Newport and Newport to Pontypool via Croesyceiliog and New Inn.

In 1927 Ralphs were ground-breaking with their first long distance trip to Blackpool.

Ralph's continued as a ‘Motor Omnibus Operator’ until 1938 when they merged with another operator, The Griffin Motor Co.

The existing buses continued throughout WWII and the early 1950s but kept their own names (Ralphs or Griffin) until nationalisation in 1950 and the fleet of 46 buses then became known as Red & White.

Nostalgia is provided by Torfaen Museum.