With the South Wales Premier League awaking from their hibernation and not needing assistance for their teams, the South East Wales Cricket League reverted to its usual format.

The league, supported by Thomas Carroll Insurance and Watkins and Gunn Solicitors, wasn't completely normal as to comply with coronavirus guidelines.

Dressing rooms cannot be used nor can teas be supplied between innings. It was, however, good that ball could be heard on willow throughout the country and despite several games on Saturday being interrupted by heavy showers, several batsmen put in an early stake for player of the month.

Two of these were at Lisvane, where Jack Pritchard and Henry Hurle both got into three figures as they put on 215 for the third wicket as they posted a daunting target of 310.

Visitors Blackwood were rarely in the hunt and, despite 70 from captain Dan Wilkinson and 30 from young Harrison Watkins, they fell well short on 175.

Another two tons were recorded at Usk with Olly Robson (125) and Amit Aswani (101) taking the home team to 261 after being put into bat.

After a poor start, Newport Fugitives wickets continued to fall at regular intervals and only the returning Nathan Millichip looked comfortable as Mika Ekstom took 5 for 15 off 8 overs.

Radyr were another team to be asked to take first knock and while seven batsmen had solid starts none could push on beyond 36 and they were dismissed for 197 off just 38 overs.

Pentyrch openers Lewis Coates and Jamie Mills raced after the target which they reached in just 26.3 overs with Mills hitting 66 of his 116 through boundaries.

Sudbrook were another side who were not hanging about in the cold weather for having dismissed Croesyceiliog for 140. Opener Mathew Kinchin stormed to 91 not out in just 77 balls as he led his side to a convincing nine-wicket victory.

Former Glamorgan teammates Will Bragg and John Glover were in opposition at Panteg and it was the former that went home with the 'Bragging' rights as Abergavenny recorded a comfortable five-wicket victory.

Following the daily trend, Panteg took first knock and never recovered from losing their first four wickets for 23.

Only three players reached double figures and they were all out for 118 with new signing from Malpas via Ynysgerwyn, James Francis taking 3 for 33 against his former team mates.

Francis completed a fine debut notching an unbeaten 34 from the opening position to guide his side home in the 26th over.

The tightest game of the day was at Monmouth where the home team's target of 174 was reached by Miskin Manor with their last pair at the crease

In Division Two, Simon Veale was another centurion as he helped Crumlin to 219 at Cregiau after they had lost three early wickets.

In reply six batsmen got reasonable starts but none were able to push for the win and they were dismissed for 183 with the wickets spread between the bowlers.

Pontymister and Cross Keys had their start to the season delayed by hailstones at The Vale but when the game started the home team posted a target of 160 off their allotted overs.

In reply Zalmal Ahmadzai, who hit 60, lacked support and they fell a disappointing 26 runs short.

Rogerstone's game at Tondu was also a restricted affair, but the home team hit a challenging 257 for 5 which Rogerstone found beyond them as they were dismissed for 98.

The Bank Holiday Monday schedule was ruined by the weather with all matches either cancelled or abandoned.

Abergavenny were the only side to record six points rather than five after reducing Lisvane to 78 for 2 when the weather intervened.

Imran Hassans superb century wasnt enough for Newport

Imran Hassan's superb century wasn't enough for Newport

NEWPORT suffered a home defeat despite a flying start against Mumbles in their South Wales Premier Cricket League opener.

The hosts were on top at Spytty Park when they had the Swansea side 7-3 in the Division One fixture.

It got better when former Glamorgan all-rounder Craig Meschede fell to Charlie Stewart with the score on 61.

However, Aneurin Norman and Max Phillips joined forces to move Mumbles to 225 before the former went for 105.

Phillips was dismissed for 82 in a total of 275.

Imran Hassan struck a 98-ball century for Newport and former skipper Michael Clayden hit 47 but they fell to a 21-run defeat.

Chepstow made a winning start in Division Two when they triumphed by 56 runs at Ynystawe.

They posted 280, with Carwyn James hitting 88, before dismissing the hosts for 224.

Malpas were edged out by Ynysygerwn after being put in and bowled out for 174, opener Ryan Ward top scoring with 48.

An eighth-wicket partnership of 46 between Adam Davies and Nathan Davies proved to be the difference in a tight contest.

Newbridge's contest with Carmarthen Wanderers was abandoned.

The visitors had posted 219-8 at the Welfare Ground and had reduced 'Bridge to 59-4 when the rain came.

Newport enjoyed a 46-run win against Chepstow on Sunday in the Welsh Cup.

They elected to bat and wicket-keeper Nathan Berry, captaining the side, struck 62 in a total of 138.

Newport were dismissed in 36.4 overs, with Lewys Jones taking four wickets for 13, but the total proved too big for the hosts.

Chepstow were reduced to 8-3 and wickets fell at regular intervals despite the efforts of resolute opener Jamie Rayner, who hit an 89-ball 28. The hosts were all out for 92.