BATSMEN were on top in the South East Wales Cricket League thanks to sun finally drying out pitches.

Three batsmen scored centuries on Monday while another two got into the 90s in the competition, which is sponsored by Thomas Carroll Insurers and Watkins & Gunn Solicitors.

Ryan Avery, Croesyceiliog captain and opener, led the way as he carried his bat with a sparkling 147 against local rivals Panteg in a knock which included 17 fours and 4 sixes.

He joined forces with Danny Evans to plunder 216 runs off the 25 overs after drinks to take Croesy to a daunting target of 290.

This score was always beyond the visitors, although Sean Clarke added to the late entertainment with a run-a-ball 52 including five sixes.

Another opening batsman to like the conditions was Loius Tovey of Newpoprt Fugitives, who helped his side to a maximum 20 points with an unbeaten 117 against visitors Miskin Manor.

The Manor were asked to take first knock and only the consistent Carl Whitely looked comfortable as his side was dismissed for 206 with James Didcot bowling a tight line with just 28 off his overs.

Thanks to Tovey, the Fugies were always in control and reached their target in the 42nd over.

The other centurion was Jack Pritchard of Lisvane who guided his team back to the top of the table with 101.

Several of his team chipped in which meant Lisvane reached 220 at the break. Radyr made a good effort in reply but eventually number six bat Rhys Lloyd ran out of partners and was stranded on 91with his team an agonising five runs short.

Abergavenny recovered from their poor showing in the previous game to defeat league leaders Pentrych on their own patch by three wickets with just seven balls remaining.

Only Lewis Coates (45) of the usually free-scoring Pentyrch team looked in touch as they were restricted to 186.

Will Bragg (36), Will Glenn (34) and James Francis (49) made useful contributions but it was Sam Clarke that saw his side struggle over the line.

Youngsters Joe Harris and Sam Swingford got Monmouth off to a flying start and at 100 for 0 off just 15 overs, Blackwood captain Dan Wilkinson was certainly not thinking of a maximum point victory for his side.

However, following a couple of poor shots and a needless run-out the home team lost momentum and, with Wilkinson & Huw Wilcox going for just 52 off their 20 overs, Blackwood were back in with a shout.

They lost two quick wickets to put them under pressure but Wilkinson came to the rescue with a well-constructed 96, ably supported by Andy Price, and they got home by four wickets in the penultimate over.

The highest and lowest scores of the day came at Sudbrook where the home team were left to rue the decision to put Usk into bat.

Olly Robson topped scored with 68 but he was well supported by his fellow team-mates as Usk totalled 262 for 7.

The home team were bundled out for 87 in just 21 overs and at one time were16 for 6 with captain Ben Jones taking four wickets.