NEWPORT County AFC take on Exeter City at Rodney Parade on Tuesday looking to end their four-game winless run after failing to see off 10-man Crawley Town at the People’s Pension Stadium.

The Exiles, who remain top of League Two, struck early in West Sussex through Ryan Haynes, before Mickey Demetriou headed into his own net later in the first half.

County’s cause was helped by the dismissal of Crawley’s Tarryn Allarakhia on the hour mark, but the Welsh club couldn’t make their numerical advantage count.

Here are the talking points from Saturday’s clash…


County boss Michael Flynn would have been keen for his men to put the disappointment of the previous weekend’s home defeat by Oldham Athletic well and truly to bed with a rapid start.

And having made two changes to his starting XI with midfielder Robbie Willmott and striker Jamie Proctor dropping to the bench and being replaced by Matty Dolan and Tristan Abrahams, that’s exactly what he got courtesy of Haynes’ strike inside the opening five minutes.

It was a superb right-footed finish inside the Crawley box from the left-footed Haynes after being found by Scott Twine, who set-up the chance with a surging run from his own half.

Haynes also had a decent chance to double his tally and County’s lead midway through the first period but found the side netting.


There looked to be little for County to worry about when the hosts pumped a long ball into the visitors’ half just after the hour-hour mark.

And when Demetriou got his head to it to nod the ball back to keeper Nick Townsend, little did the defender think his name would be on the scoresheet seconds later.

However, that was the case as Townsend came out too far and ended up leaving an open net behind him.


Townsend’s desperate attempts to prevent Demetriou’s header going in was pretty much the gloveman’s last meaningful involvement in the game.

Not long after he required treatment on an injured right knee and in first-half injury-time was forced off because of the problem.

Tom King replaced Townsend and, in truth, had very little to do after the break, particularly following Allarakhia’s sending off.


County bossed possession in the second half without really threatening Glenn Morris in the Crawley goal.

And lacking a cutting edge in the final third was missing from their play throughout the afternoon.

Crawley stuck to their task after the red card, but County will feel it was more a case of two points dropped rather than one gained.

Aside from the goal, they weren’t convincing in and around the Crawley box, and home Morris didn’t really have much to do.


The Exiles finish the year at home to Exeter on Tuesday hoping to secure a first win in five.

Despite claiming just two points from a possible 12, Flynn’s side still lead the way in League Two, although their reign looked like coming to an end on Saturday.

Carlisle United were odds-on to claim pole position when they led Bolton Wanderers 3-0 in Cumbria, before the visitors hauled themselves level.