USK, an attractive town to visit at any time of the year, is at its very best in summer, when the streets are radiant with colourful flower arrangements in window boxes, flower beds and hanging baskets.
Newbridge, as its name implies, was the name given by the people to land around the "new bridge" built across the Ebbw (Afon Ebwy) towards the end of the eighteenth century. At this time Newbridge was a predominantly Welsh agrarian community. In the valley, the chief farms were Ty-Llydd, where the new vicarage now stands, Tynewydd, where Newbridge Hotel stands, Ty-hir, the house which stands next to the Beaufort Arms, and the Newbridge Corn mill which stood near the South Celynen Colliery.
Brynmawr (Big Hill), was originally known as Gwaen Helygen (Marsh of the Willow). A mere village in 1800, it was a market town in the county of Brecknock and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1875.